#1 HOW DO I APPLY TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THE 2018 CHARLESTON FASHION WEEK® (CFW) MODEL SEARCH?
There are ten easy steps to apply. This includes submitting an application fee, model name and contact information, details about model, uploading a full-body image and headshot, and hitting the SUBMIT button.
#2 WHAT IS THE DEADLINE FOR SUBMITTING MY APPLICATION?
Entries must be received no later than 12 p.m. noon (EST) on Monday, November 13, 2017 in order to secure an audition time at the casting call. Casting calls will take place at Embassy Suites Charleston – Historic Charleston, 337 Meeting Street, Charleston, SC, 29403 – call time to be determined by CFW.
#3 WHAT IF I MISS THE DEADLINE TO APPLY ONLINE? AM I STILL ELIGIBLE TO ATTEND A CASTING CALL?
To secure an audition, models MUST submit an online application by the deadline outlined above.
Models that miss the online application deadline are welcome to attend the CFW open casting call. However, this does not guarantee you will be seen. Secured auditions are only guaranteed to models that submit an online application by the deadline listed above.
Come prepared! First models must meet the height requirement (see #5 for details), pay a $25 application-processing fee, and complete the official CFW Model Search application, including model measurements. Models that do not meet these requirements will not be seen by CFW.
TIP: We anticipate a high volume of attendees and highly recommend models submit an online application to secure an audition time.
#4 WHAT QUALIFICATIONS MUST A MODEL POSSESS IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THE MODEL SEARCH?
The Rock the Runway Model Search™ is open to male and female residents of the 48 contiguous United States and Washington D.C.
- “Child” models are considered 3 – 12 years of age.
- “Adult” females models are considered 13 years of age or older and meet the minimum height requirement of 5’7” tall* without shoes.
- “Adult” males models are considered 13 years of age or older and meet the minimum height requirement of 5’10” tall* without shoes.
Eligible entrants who are under 18 years old must have parent or legal guardian’s permission to apply, and must be at the audition to sign a waiver or model will not be permitted to audition.
NOTE: *Height will be checked prior to registration. Models under the required height will NOT be permitted to audition at the casting call and will be asked to leave. The application fee is nonrefundable.
#5 IF I AM SELECTED FOR A CASTING CALL, WHEN/HOW WILL I BE NOTIFIED?
All applicants will be notified via email* the week of the castings, no later than 10:00 a.m., Tuesday November 28, 2017 if selected to attend a casting audition. The email confirmation will include: the date, time, exact location of the casting call and an assigned time to register. Audition date and time are at the sole discretion of Charleston Fashion Week®.
- Child models (3 - 12 years of age) will only be seen on Friday, December 1, 2017**. Open casting child models must register by 1:00 p.m. EST to guarantee an audition.
- Adult female and male models (13 years of age and older) will only be seen on Saturday, December 2 and Sunday, December 3, 2017**. Open casting adult models must register by 10:00 a.m. EST on either day to guarantee an audition.
TIP: Mark your calendar in advance with the dates for the auditions to ensure your availability for a casting.
*All CFW correspondence is done via e-mail. Be sure the email address on your application is correct otherwise you will NOT receive information from CFW.
**Date and time for auditions are at the sole discretion of CFW and based on your casting selection on the application.
#6 HOW DO I PREPARE FOR THE CASTING CALL?
All models are required to bring a copy of the e-mail outlining the casting call invitation including the date and registration time, and PayPal receipt. In addition:
- Wait time could be up to two hours. Bring something to read, a snack, and bottled water.
- All models selected at the casting call will have a professional headshot and full-body shots photographed for the CFW 2018 Model Book. Be prepared for this PRIOR to registration. Meaning bring a brush and touch-up makeup for photography if cast for the Model Book.
- Practice your walk, presentation pose, and interview skills! There were more than 800 applications in 2017 and only 300 models were cast.
#7 WHAT DO I WEAR TO THE CASTING CALL?
All models are required to be groomed. In addition:
- Child models MUST wear a white top and black bottoms, with a clean, fresh face and hair.
- Female models MUST wear a fitted solid black tank top, black legging or fitted black shorts, and bring heels a minimum of 3” in height. Do not wear loose clothing or shoes that do not fit. There are no exceptions*.
- Male models MUST wear a fitted solid black tank top, black pants or black shorts, and closed toed dress shoes. Do not wear loose clothing or shoes that do not fit. There are no exceptions*.
*No graphics or logos permitted on tank tops. Models will NOT be seen if they do not adhere to the outlined casting attire. No exceptions.
NOTE: Women will NOT be seen without heels and layers of clothing will NOT be allowed in the audition room. Also, all models selected at the casting call will have a headshot and full-body shot photographed for the official Charleston Fashion Week® 2018 model books at this time. BE PREPARED for this prior to registration and audition.
#8 IF SELECTED FOR THE 2018 CHARLESTON FASHION WEEK® RUNWAY OR SPECIAL EVENT MODEL BOOK, WHEN/HOW WILL I BE CHOSEN TO PARTICIPATE?
Models 13 years and older that attended a Charleston Fashion Week® 2018 casting will be notified via email by Monday, December 18, if selected to be in the official Runway or Special Event model book. Child models will be notified by March 1, 2018.
Models selected for the official Charleston Fashion Week® Model Books are NOT guaranteed participation at the event. The 2018 Model Books will be presented to all Featured and Emerging Designers, as well as boutiques and sponsors for initial selection. Models selected for this book may have the opportunity to participate in a photo campaign, special event, and/or walk in a runway show(s). Final selections are at the sole discretion of CFW and based on production and overall event need. Models will be notified of a second casting and/or fitting via e-mail no later than February 2018, final selections will be made by CFW in March 2018. Models, parents and/or agents may NOT contact the sponsors, designers, or boutiques directly. In doing so, a model may be pulled from the Model Books and eligibility to participate.
#9 IF SELECTED FOR A CHARLESTON FASHION WEEK® 2018 MODEL BOOK, WHAT IS THE TIME COMMITMENT?
All models are encouraged to attend the January 13 – 14, 2018 workshops. Attendance to the February and March rehearsals, designer and boutique go-sees, as well as week of the event if selected for a photo-shoot, special event, or runway show, are required.
The week of Charleston Fashion Week®, Tuesday March 13 – Saturday, March 17, 2018, models are required to be available for the following:
- Photo-shoot / sponsor campaign timing may vary.
- In-store events – presentations, designer trunks shows, and/or special events – as early as 8:00 a.m. to as late as 5:00 p.m.
- Runway shows or Fashion Village presentations – as early as 2:00 p.m. to as late as 11:00 p.m.
#10 WHERE ARE THE CFW MODEL WORKSHOPS AND REHEARSALS HELD, AND WHAT ARE THE DATES AND TIMES?
All events will take place in Charleston, South Carolina. Exact location and time-block information will be sent to models via e-mail at a later date. Time-blocks are assigned by and at the sole discretion of CFW. Mark your calendar NOW for the following:
- Workshops: Saturday, January 13 – Sunday, January 14, 2018
- Rehearsal 1: Saturday, February 24, 2018
- Rehearsal 2: Monday, March 12, 2018
#11 WHAT IS THE MODEL SELECTION PROCESS?
Model Books are presented to Emerging Designers and Featured Designers, boutiques, and sponsors for initial selection. Final selections are at the sole discretion of CFW and based on production and overall event need. Here are more details for each:
- If selected, Emerging Designer(s) initial casting(s)/fitting(s) will be held on Sunday, January 14, 2018, the same weekend as the model workshops. The location is the same as the workshops; time will be determined at a later date and is at the sole discretion of CFW. Final fittings for an Emerging Designer show(s) will take place as early as 8:00 a.m. to as late as 6:00 p.m. on Sunday, March 11 – Monday, March 12, 2018.
- If selected, models are required to attend an in-store go-see(s) and/or fitting(s) for a boutique between February 23 – 25, 2018 and/or March 1 – 5, 2018. Final day/time at the sole discretion of the boutique. Models cast for more than one show and/or event are required to attend each go-see and/or fitting. Final fittings will take place as needed and are managed by CFW pending the overall production/event schedule.
- If selected, models see a Featured Designer(s) for a casting(s)/fitting(s) beginning Sunday, March 11 – Saturday, March 17, 2018. Exact date and time are at CFW's sole discretion. Location will be determined at a later date.
- If selected, models are required to attend casting(s)/fitting(s) as requested by the boutique, designer, and/or sponsor. Exact date and time are at CFW's sole discretion. Location will be determined at a later date.
TIP: Mark your calendar in advance with the dates above to ensure you are available. Designers, boutiques and/or sponsors will not work around your schedule.
#12 HOW ARE MODELS SELECTED TO COMPETE IN THE ROCK THE RUNWAY MODEL SEARCH™?
Models booked for a runway show will be eligible for the Search. However, this does not guarantee a model will advance as a finalist. Selection for the Search is based on industry criteria by a model panel of experts. Read the Rules and Regulations for specifics.
#13 IF SELECTED AS THE AGENT’S CHOICE GRAND PRIZE WINNER, WHAT DOES THE PRIZE PACKAGE INCLUDE?
One (1) Female and one (1) Male Grand Prize Winner will be selected by a panel of industry agents as the Agent’s Choice Top Model. Prize* package includes:
- $1,000 cash prize
- Mentoring opportunity with industry leader, Karen Lee Grybowski, international model scout, and/or other(s)
In addition, all Top Models will qualify for one (1) Female and one (1) Male People's Choice Award for one (1) $250 gift card each.
NOTE: *Additional prizes may be announced at a later date.
#14 DURING WHAT TIME FRAME MUST THE WINNER REDEEM HIS/HER PRIZE?
Cash prizes will be mailed to each winner by September 1, 2018. Mentor consultation to take place within 6 months from March 2018.
#15 ARE MODELS SELECTED TO PARTICIPATE AT CHARLESTON FASHION WEEK® COMPENSATED?
All models selected to participate in a 2018 Charleston Fashion Week® runway show or special event will receive one weekly Fashion Village pass. Pass excludes Saturday, March 17, 2018 and does not grant access to the Runway Tent. Passes are non-transferrable and may not be exchanged for cash value, nor will they be replaced if lost.
In addition, models are invited to a workshop with industry professionals, and have an opportunity to be seen by the countries top agencies for the opportunity to be discovered. Models will also be recognized on the 2018 Charleston Fashion Week® website.
And finally, the online model application fee includes an official Charleston Fashion Week® Rock the Runway t-shirt* to those models who audition at the official castings December 1 – 3, 2017.
* Those models that apply, but do not audition, WILL NOT receive a t-shirt. There are no exceptions, and no refunds for the fee or t-shirt.
#16 IS THERE A FINANCIAL OBLIGATION TO PARTICIPATE AS A MODEL? IF SO, WHAT WILL MY MONETARY COMMITMENT BE?
Charleston Fashion Week® requires a processing fee of $25 to apply. All models are also responsible for any and all costs associated with castings, rehearsals, go-sees or fittings, and the week of the event including all transportation to/from Charleston, meals, lodging, and parking fees.
#18 IF SELECTED FOR A RUNWAY SHOW, SPECIAL EVENT, PHOTO-SHOOT OR OTHER FOR THE EVENT, WILL TRAVEL TO/FROM CHARLESTON AND ACCOMMODATIONS IN CHARLESTON BE COVERED?
All models are responsible for travel to/from Charleston and lodging the week of CFW. Visit the CFW website for hotel partners that may offer a preferred rate*. It is the model’s responsibility to book a hotel* room or make alternative arrangements.
*Check the CFW website for preferred hotels and rates. Preferred rates are at the sole discretion of the hotel, NOT Charleston Fashion Week®.
#19 HOW MANY PEOPLE ATTEND CHARLESTON FASHION WEEK®?
More than 7,500 people attended Charleston Fashion Week® 2017, including buyers, storeowners, model scouts and agents, photographers and fashion industry professionals, and media.
#20 WHAT PRESS COVERAGE DOES CHARLESTON FASHION WEEK® TYPICALLY RECEIVE?
Charleston Fashion Week® 2017 generated more than 331 million media impressions through the activation and support of local and national media to include reporters, bloggers, photographers, editors, and journalists. Past press highlights have included event coverage by CNN, Huffington Post, InStyle.com, Glamour.com, Southern Living, The Daily Front Row, The Post & Courier, and more. More than 115 credentialed media are onsite to cover and report the events of the week.
#21 WHAT SUCCESSES HAVE PAST MODELS HAD POST CHARLESTON FASHION WEEK®?
Several models that graced the Charleston Fashion Week® (CFW) runway have signed with the country’s top agencies, modeled and walked for national and international fashion designers, worked with global brands, and successfully competed on television shows like America’s Next Top Model.
Since 2015, more than 30 participating CFW models have signed with top modeling agencies such as Directions USA, ELITE DIRECT, ELITE NYC, Factor Atlanta|Chicago, and Wilhelmina Miami.
Having begun her modeling career at Charleston Fashion Week®, Allison Millar soon went on to model in New York and Miami, and then sign with Crystal/Slides Models Paris, PRM London, and Wonderwall Milan after graduating high school. Millar has since graced the runways of Milan and Paris Couture Week for years. She has also modeled for Maybelline and international designers including Kittima Milano and Vogue, Tony Ward Couture, and luxury brand Julianna Bass. Millar was the face for numerous Couples campaigns too.
Christina Zapolski is an all American model best known for her work in Fitness, Southern Living, Glamour Mexico, and Self magazine, among others. She is signed with Wilhelmina Models in New York and Los Angeles, and most recently shot 2017 campaigns for St. Regis Resort, Kate McDonald Bridal, and Fila Tennis. She has also worked with top fashion houses including Chloe, Max Mara, Chanel, and national retailers Target, Bloomingdales, Macy's, and Kleinfeld Bridal, to name a few.
Ryan Bogdan, male model winner of the Charleston Fashion Week® 2015 Rock the Runway Search™ signed with Wilhelmina Miami. Immediately following CFW, he moved to Miami to develop his portfolio, and has since auditioned for upcoming campaigns including both Nike and Sears.
Since the CFW 2015 Rock the Runway Search™ female model winner, Sarah Louise Rhodes also signed with Wilhelmina Miami immediately following CFW, and has since signed with Directions USA, Wilhelmina Chicago, and most recently Vision LA. She has spent the past year working in Chicago, Los Angeles and the Carolinas with companies including Belk, Sears, Kate McDonald Bridal, and LulaKate.
Winner of the Charleston Fashion Week® 2012 Rock the Runway Search™ Samuel Roberts, relocated to New York City to pursue modeling full time. Samuel is signed with Fusion Models NYC and has been placed with I LOVE Models Management in Milan. He has walked the runway for Louis Vuitton, Hermes, Paul Smith, and Wooyoungmi during Fashion Weeks in Milan, Paris, and New York.
Since her debut on the CFW runway in 2015, top model Shinhae Yoon has gone on to walk in both NYFW FW 16' and Seoul Fashion Week FW 16', and been featured by VOGUE Italia, VOGUE.com, Dazed.com and The Face Magazine.
#22 AS A MODEL FOR CHARLESTON FASHION WEEK® WILL I RECEIVE A TICKET TO THE EVENT?
All models selected to participate in a 2018 Charleston Fashion Week® runway show or special event will receive one weekly Fashion Village pass. Pass excludes Saturday, March 17, 2018 and does not grant access to the Runway Tent. Passes are non-transferrable and may not be exchanged for cash value, nor will it be replaced if lost.
#23 IS THERE ANY ADDITIONAL INCENTIVES FOR BEING A MODEL AT CHARLESTON FASHION WEEK®?
All models selected to participate in a 2018 Charleston Fashion Week® runway show, special event, or photo-shoot will receive the following:
- The opportunity to be discovered by top agents from across the country.
- Visibility to local and national fashion industry leaders, stylists, bloggers, and media
- Recognition on the Charleston Fashion Week® 2018 website
- An invitation to a top agency meet and greet event the week of CFW
#24 IF I AM EXPERIENCING TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES UPLOADING IMAGES OR SUBMITTING MY APPLICATION, WHO DO I CONTACT?
Contact application director via e-mail at email@example.com
Click here for the official Charleston Fashion Week® 2018 Rules and Regulations.